Saturday, November 13, 2010

Chiaro Oscuro

Im often in Japan, sometimes for work but my primary driver these days is to spend time with my 10 year old daughter who lives with my Japanese ex-wife in Tokyo. On one specific trip a couple of years ago I caught up with famed Japanese photographer, Tommy Oshima at an exhibition he was having in Shinjuku. Great to meet him and have a chat over a few beers.

 Tommy Oshima (with Kohiyama Takahiro in the background)


The exhibition was held in an extremely small three story bar called Nagune, which even when I had a map and directions took me forever to find, including asking many people if they had any idea where it was. Once I did find it, I couldn't believe how small it was. If people were sitting at the bar, they all had to make concessions so you could pass them, and on the 2nd and 3rd floors I needed to stoop in order to avoid hitting my head.


Also there was one of Tommy's regular photographic subjects and friend, Clarice sporting her Mamiya Press with out dated polaroid film. Needless to say, I eventually ended up being a target for this mammoth machine...

 ...photo courtesy of Clarice

No comments: