Saturday, November 13, 2010

Beijing Song Birds

Winter in Beijing is bitterly cold with temperatures between -10 to -20 degrees Celsius and coupled with extremely low humidity. At the other end, summer can bring the very opposite with high humidity and temperature. However, all year round many of the older locals can often be found sitting in parks with their "Song birds" in cages hanging from trees with they take time out to relax and chat with friends.



These shots are all from Chaoyang Gong Yuan (Chaoyang Park) in Beijing. The gentleman captured in both the shot immediately above and below happens to be the same guy. The interesting part is that the one above is in the middle of winter while the one below was the middle of summer.


This shot above is one of my favourites and has a slightly interesting story associated with it. Give the environment and the type of shot I was after it was necessary to ask to take the shot. Initially this guy was sitting on a park bench with his shirt off enjoying the sun and when I asked him (in Mandarin) if he minded, he made some gesture to his lack of upper clothing and appeared to suggest no; yet he was extremely jovial in his nature.

However, he suddenly begins to put his shirt on and I realise that he happily intends to pose for me. I was using my Leica M6, and as I raised the camera he took on the structured pose of military personnel - not what I wanted but I took the shot none the less. As I lowered the camera he roared into laughter so I went to shoot again but before I could frame he switched back to his military pose. I tried to feint the shot but he wasn't falling for that so I took a second stiff frame. Now, as I wound the film on I felt the film go tight at the end of the stroke - now I know I've hit the end of the roll and the last shot. Again as I lowered the camera he roared into laughter and with the lens at chest level and still pointed in his direction, I took the shot...

No comments: